The Volunteer Services Council for Denton State Supported Living Center (DSSLC) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization which was established in 1960. A Board of Directors made up of twelve professionals and family members living in Carrollton, Dallas, Denton, Flower Mound, Ft. Worth, Highland Village, Irving, and Plano governs the Council. This board serves as a go-between for the community and DSSLC.
The Volunteer Services/Community Relations Department of Denton State Supported Living Center serves as the liason between the school and the Volunteer Services Council.
What VSC/CR does
- We provide capital improvements, services, and items that the state cannot supply by law or by limitation of funds for the enrichment of the lives of those persons served by the Denton SSLC facility.
- We inform and educate the public about individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. A speaker can be provided for any group that makes a request.
- We operate a volunteer program for the benefit of individuals served by Denton SSLC, their families, and service providers.
- We are also a fundraising organization.
Through the efforts and generosity of staff, parents, volunteers and donors, VSC/CR has provided the Denton SSLC residents with many extras, such as:
- Sidewalks and a gazebo for beautiful Lipshy Park
- The Ivey Chapel for All Faiths
- An Olympic Swimming Pool, "The William Zale Water Therapy Center"
- The NT TX Physical Management Center, which offers custom wheel chair seating and mobility services to people with disabilities
- Refurbishment of the infirmary
- New wheelchair accessible bus and vans
- Purchase of Christmas and birthday gifts
- Refurbishment of the Wooden Nickel, the resident's snack bar
- Televisions, furniture, clothing
- Refurbishment of the school's dental clinics
- Planting of 200 crepe myrtles across campus
- New 4800 sq. ft.. multi-purpose recreation center, "1080 Place"
- Refurbishment of the Ivey Chapel for All Faiths
- (20) Reverse Trendelenburg Beds
- Annual Christmas is for Caring / KRLD radio campaign
- The purchase and installation of digital x-ray equipment for the Medical Department
- Impressions, a ceramic retail center showcasing items created by resident artists
- Four Bubble Machines for Sensory Rooms
- Wheel chair van to transport residents
- Expenses paid for residents to attend annual music festival
- Beds purchased for residents who needed them.
- Pavilion Renovation
- Golf Cart for Nursing
- Three wheel chair vans for transporting residents
- Musical performance program by TWU Music students for non-ambulatory residents
- Recreation and enrichment outings
Current Projects for 2013 - 2014
- New Patio covers for (5) Homes
- Performances by TWU School of Music
- Six Golf Carts for assistance to medical staff
- Bathing tables for Infirmary
- Bobbsey Bicycles for residents - side by side so a staff can accompany them
Executive Officers of the VSC:
Stephen Gersuk, Chairman
Dennis Jaglinski, Vice Chairman
Tom Elliott, Treasurer
Stephanie Kithas, Secretary
Community Relations Staff
Susan Dean - Director
Nancy Boorman - Assistant Director/Volunteer Coordinator
Jeanie Rogers - Administrative Assistant
Dwayne Campbell - Resource Manager